Vertical Drop Down CSS3 Menu Css3Menu.com

 
   CELORON'S PARK HISTORY

     CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO HISTORY
    CLICK HERE TO VIEW MORE PARK HISTORY

PARK OVERVIEW
This overview is not a picture; rather an artist's drawing.  Please note the structure in the upper-right with the Turkish style spires and long Annex ending in a bandstand -- this is the Auditorium.  Also in the right of the drawing at the water's edge is the three-story Bathhouse with three toboggan slides; one of which is the camel-back slide.  The Phoenix Ferris Wheel is to the left with Hotel de Celoron barely visible behind the right side of the Wheel with a flag banner protruding from its top.  The baseball grounds are beyond the Auditorium.  The Celoron Theater and the Greyhound rollercoaster were not yet in the park.
BATHHOUSE
One of the original structures in 1894, it was three stories tall with three toboggan slides, one being a camel-back slide.  Inside the bathhouse was a barber shop, 150 dressing rooms, bowling alley, billiards room, shooting gallery, ice-cream parlor, and a large open recreation area.  Damaged by fire a fire in 1900, the bathhouse, when repaired, was three stories only in the middle and the signature camel-back slide was gone.
HOTEL DE CELORON
One of the original structures of the park in 1894.  It was three stories, very ornate, and 100 square feet with 36 rooms.  It was damaged by the fire in 1902 and was destroyed by fire in 1914.
BASEBALL GROUNDS
One of the original structures of the park in 1894, this was the primary site for local baseball.  It hosted boxing matches, football, lacrosse, cricket, and soccer games.  Hosted most every major league professional baseball team of the day, and special athletes like Jim Thorpe and Babe Ruth.  Closed after the 1939 season.
AUDITORIUM
Opened in 1895 - - Turkish-type spires that were five stories tall.  It seated 8,500 and was used as a meeting hall, convention center, dance hall, and roller rink.  In the winter, the floors of both the Auditorium and the Annex were flooded and used both for ice skating and speed skating.  Destroyed by fire in 1920.
CELORON THEATER
Opened in 1897 and extended out over the water and was 168 feet long X 82 feet wide X 40 feet high.  It served as the primary site for stage performances and vaudeville acts from 1897 - 1924.  It was converted for dancing and renamed the Pier Ballroom until it was destroyed by fire in 1930.
PHOENIX WHEEL
First operated in the 1986 season.  This was the world's largest - - ten stories tall with 12 cages and a capacity of 168.  125 feet in diameter and took six men to operate.  Lit by 350 colored lights.  Dismantled in 1952.
GREYHOUND ROLLER COASTER
Opened in 1924, this all wooden roller coaster had three loops and 6,000 lights.  It was destroyed by a tornado in 1959.